Sunday, July 12, 2009

Why I signed up for Betty Blogger Summer School

I have a 14-year old grandson. Our relationship is not as close as I would like it to be due to the fact that Lucas lives in the United States and I don't get to see him nearly as often as would be my preference. In fact I sort of think of myself as the Christmas and Birthday grandma, only arriving on special occasions and always with gifts in hand.

However, recently it seems to me that not only is he far away from me physically, but he is also starting to talk a foreign language. He twitters and tweets in his own space, which he wants to make "My Space" as well. He social networks through Facebook and he tries to play tag with me on-line. He blogs about his favourite Web pages, hides behind his avitar, is constantly streaming something or other and his spelling is rudimentary but extremely creative thanks to the shorthand required by incessant texting. Truthfully, it is like my son and daughter-in-law adopted a child from a foreign country and I simply cannot communicate with him. So I decided to enlist the aid of Betty Blogger to help put me on the same page as Lucas - even if it is a Webpage - so that I can reconnect with the son of my son.

1 comment: